UK Linguistic Courses
Introduction to Linguistics
Linguistics is the principle study of language, from how sentences are constructed to how language can influence and direct. A keen analytical mind is required as students learn about the sound, grammar and meaning of different languages, spoken by different people and cultures. Topics range from the analysis of advertising and marketing to the political rhetoric of world leaders, and students will learn the most effective ways of looking at and dissecting language.
SI-UK Pakistan can help you apply to study Linguistics in the UK. Arrange your free consultation at our Rawalpindi offices or via Skype.
During the first year of study, students will be introduced to modules on phonetics and phonology, syntax and sociolinguistics, before moving onto more complex subjects in the second and third year such as language acquisition, and difficulty in learning language through age.
Careers in Linguistics
Linguistic graduates will find career opportunities in the areas of language therapy, translation, teaching English as a first or foreign language, interpretation and journalism.
Linguistics Entry Requirements
- Undergraduate Entry Requirements
- Successful completion of minimum one year's Bachelor’s from a recognized university with a minimum 65%.
- Postgraduate Entry Requirements
- Applicants with a four-year undergraduate degree (for example, BA/BSC Hons) can apply for direct entry onto a postgraduate course.
- 2:2 Honors Degree or Above
- 4 year BA/BSc with min 2.5 GPA or MA/MSc 2nd Division (min 62.5% following a 2 year BA/BSc).
- 2:1 honors degree or above
- 4 year BA/BSc with min 3.0 GPA or MA/MSc 1st Division (above 75% following a 2 year BA/BSc)
- Typical A-levels requirements: ABB.
- 6.5 overall, with no lower than 6.0 in any one component.
Please note that entry requirements vary for each UK university. If you are interested in learning more about Entry Requirements, arrange your free consultation today.
Where can I study Linguistics in the UK?
To learn more about the best Linguistics courses in the UK, find details on the top ten ranking Linguistic universities in Guardian University Guide Ranking 2019 below:
|1||University of Cambridge||Cambridge, England|
|2||University of Oxford||Oxford, England|
|3||University of Surrey||Guildford, England|
|4||University of Durham||Durham, England|
|5||University of St Andrews||St Andrews, Scotland|
|6||University of Warwick||Coventry, England|
|7||University of Leicester||Leicester, England|
|8||Aberystwyth University||Aberystwyth, Wales|
|9||University of Bristol||Bristol, England|
|10||University of Dundee||Dundee, Scotland|
Do you need assistance in applying to Cambridge, Oxford or UCL? The Oxbridge Service will fully prepare you in your application to some of the best universities in the world with intense interview practice and expert personal statement advice.