UK Design and Craft Courses
Introduction to Design and Crafts
A Design and Crafts degree at a UK university will give you the technical and theoretical ability to excel in each area of this creative industry.
Students will use materials such as metal, clay, plastic, wood, plaster casting, as well as well as newer technologies such as 3D scanning and 3D printing, to design and create their own objects. The size and scale of projects students undertake during the course will vary in scale and complexity, while entrepreneurial skills will be developed as you also promote and sell your own products at public exhibitions.
Courses modules include drawing and design, design for clients, business thinking and creative practice. Work placements are also common place on many Design and Crafts programmes, and students are often taught by industry professionals.
Graduate Design and Crafts Careers
A qualification in Design and Crafts will help you gain employment in a number of different creative sectors, including publishing, advertising, museums/galleries, fashion, and film.
Specific roles for design graduates include illustration, graphic and interior design, craft manufacturing, jewellery, ceramicist, consultancy, curation and buying.
Design and Crafts Entry Requirements
Most Design and Crafts courses do not specify what subjects you should have studied before applying, but some insist on achievement in an art-related subject. A personal portfolio of drawings and documents that represent your design work and show you are unique, creative and imaginative is a must.
- Undergraduate Entry Requirements
- Successful completion of minimum one year's Bachelor’s from a recognized university with a minimum 65%.
- Postgraduate Entry Requirements
- Applicants with a four-year undergraduate degree (for example, BA/BSC Hons) can apply for direct entry onto a postgraduate course.
- 2:2 Honors Degree or Above
- 4 year BA/BSc with min 2.5 GPA or MA/MSc 2nd Division (min 62.5% following a 2 year BA/BSc).
- 2:1 honors degree or above
- 4 year BA/BSc with min 3.0 GPA or MA/MSc 1st Division (above 75% following a 2 year BA/BSc)
- Typical IELTS requirements: 6.0 overall, with no lower than 5.5 in any one component.
Please note that entry requirements vary for each UK university. If you are interested in learning more about Entry Requirements, arrange your free consultation today.
Where can I study Design and Crafts in the UK?
To learn more about the best Design and Crafts courses in the UK, find details on the top ten ranking Design and Crafts universities in the Guardian University Guide 2018 below:
|1||Leeds Arts University||Leeds, England|
|2||Kingston University||Kingston-upon-Thames, England|
|3||Goldsmiths, University of London||London, England|
|4||Loughborough University||Loughborough, England|
|5||University of Lincoln||Lincoln, England|
|6||Arts University Bournemouth||Bournemouth, England|
|7||Staffordshire University||Stoke-on-Trent/Stafford, England|
|8||Coventry University||Coventry, England|
|9||Nottingham Trent University||Nottingham, England|
|10||University of Edinburgh||Edinburgh, Scotland|